This building started life as a butter market in the late 1690s. The area in front of the building became known as the market place. In 1868 the Market House was purchased by Robert A. Merry & Co. Ltd., as offices and stores for their grocery, wine and spirit business. In 1984 the building was restored and for many years housed the town library and museum. The Market house has been reconstructed to house an Arts Centre and renamed The Old Market House Arts Centre. The Arts Centre has year round local, national and touring exhibitions which change monthly.
Directions will appear here