Also known as the French Church, Greyfriar’s Church is in the Viking Triangle. It was a Franciscan Monastery from the 13th century and its unusual name derives from the occupation of the building and grounds by French Huguenot refugees between the years 1693 and 1815.
A sculpture of the famous Franciscan monk, theologian and historian, Luke Wadding stands in front of the entrance on Greyfriar’s Street, near the tourist information office.
The Franciscans were given the name 'grey friars' due to their grey robes. This friary was one of the first in Ireland and was founded by Hugh Purcell in about 1240 A.D. It was the scene of the surrender of four Irish chieftains (the O'Conor Don, de Burgo, O'Brien and O'Kennedy) to Richard II in 1395. Henry VIII granted a charter in 1544 to convert part of the building into a hospital-cum-alms-house, this being the original Holy Ghost Hospital. The church was used for burials in 1693 by French Huguenots, and later by the Methodists. Greyfriar’s Church is a monastic site in Ireland’s Ancient East.
It’s possible to see much of the church from Bailey’s New Street and from Greyfriar's Street.
Directions will appear here