Ballybricken is one of the oldest and most historic parts of Waterford City and it is well worth taking a stroll up to the ‘top of the town’ as it is known by locals. You can still see the large green area where the markets took place and it's easy to imagine what it was like many years ago when the fair was held in Ballybricken every month and people came from far and wide to enjoy these colourful and lively events. Fresh vegetables and livestock were bought and sold, including pigs, hens, sheep, calves and cows. The most important fair of the year was the May Fair, also known as the 'Hiring Fair' when those seeking employment were hired out to farmers for the season.
Jail Wall Disaster Monument at Ballybricken
On the 4th of March 1943, part of the old Jail Wall at Ballybricken collapsed, sending 120 tons of turf on to a row of houses on King's Terrace, killing nine people as residents were left trapped under fallen masonry and wet turf. Rescue services were supported in the recovery effort by revellers who had been attending the Beagle Ball at the Olympia Ballroom. Residents of surviving houses on King's Terrace were evacuated after the disaster and catered for over a three week period by the Red Cross at St Joseph's Boys Club on the Yellow Road.
Designed by Co. Wexford artist Declan Breen, the memorial is sited near the Bull Post on the green area at Ballybricken. The installation on a platform features a bronze plaque with the names of the nine victims laid horizontally on the raised ground with a large bronze ivy leaf also fixed to the ground.
Directions will appear here