St Mary's Abbey, Glencairn is the only Cistercian monastery for women in Ireland. The monastery is located in the Blackwater Valley, about 3 miles upstream from Lismore. Here the community of nuns follow a life of prayer, solitude and simplicity. St Mary's Abbey, Glencairn is the first Cistercian monastery for women in Ireland since the Reformation, founded in 1932 by Holy Cross Abbey, Stapehill, England.
Although in private ownership prior to our foundation, our monastery property once formed a portion of the episcopal lands held by the Celtic monks of Lismore. It was here in Lismore that St Malachy received his monastic formation.
Today, there are 31 community members in the community of St Mary's Abbey, Glencairn.
Directions will appear here