A Waterford Treasures Museum
Step inside Georgian Waterford
The Bishop’s Palace in the Viking Triangle is an exquisite architectural jewel which is furnished as a very elegant 18th century townhouse, which you can enjoy in the company of an historic character costumed tour guide, or with handheld audio visual guide.
The Bishop's Palace in Cathedral Square was magnificently conserved and opened to the public in 2011 displaying the remarkable treasures of Georgian and Victorian Waterford. The ground and first floors are laid out as a historic house with some of the finest displays in Ireland of 18th century glass, silver, furniture and paintings. The oldest piece of Waterford Glass in the world is a highlight. The top floor continues the story up to 1970 ending with the Hucklebuck shoes.
The present Palace, built on the site of several previous palaces, was commissioned by Bishop Charles Este in 1743 to the design of Richard Cassel. Este's premature death in 1745 and Cassel's in 1750 led to the Palace being completed by the Waterford architect-builder 'Honest' John Roberts, who built so many of Waterford's fine buildings in the 1700s.
The Palace functioned as the residence of the Anglican bishops of Waterford from 1743 to 1919, becoming then the boarding school of the Bishop Foy School until 1967. It is a key visitor attraction in the Viking Triangle and is part of Ireland’s Ancient East.
Directions will appear here